Sales Director will be responsible for lead all sales and business development activities, supporting a product portfolio that includes spices, herbs and seeds and other value-added ingredients, targeting corporate technical centers, R&D formulators, food scientists, and brand managers, along with C-level decision makers.
- Plans, schedules, and makes regular face-to-face sales calls to assigned accounts and territory prospects.
- Arranges meetings for various company professionals to provide multi-level support and relationships.
- Communicates results of sales calls via timely call reports via CRM.
- Develops sales strategies and sales budgets for territory and assigned accounts.
- Regularly reviews and provides status reports on progress against sales budget.
- Communicates and maintains accurate customer forecasts for product usage.
- Coordinates sales efforts to ensure effective sales service, customer relations, and administrative needs. Investigates customer complaints and assures prompt, effective solutions. Responds to customer inquiries for samples, technical data, and support.
- Responds to customer inquiries on the use and application of products.
- Obtains and reports marketing data for successful achievement of business objectives and strategies.
- Monitors trends, competitive activity, product development, and market penetration. Recommends course of action to prevent loss of existing business.
- Daily contact with customers and monitoring of competitive activity in assigned territory.
- Independently identifies customer needs and works closely with Marketing, Product Development, Business Unit Management and other staff to deliver marketable products in concert with customer needs.
- Makes decisions on products to demonstrate to customers. Receives limited supervision and direction on territory management.
- Continuous search for new potential accounts as a means for increasing sales in assigned territory (including cold calls to potential customers).
- BS/BA degree in Food Science, Agriculture, Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology, or equivalent industry experience.
- 8+ years of sales experience in the food industry, particularly with commodity dry food ingredients and/or flavorings requiring a multi-tiered selling process from application concept through procurement, marketing, and commercialization.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial drive with the desire to work in a cross-functional environment.
- Proven ability to create a go to market strategy and inform company of the most effective structure and processes to win business.
- Experience selling value-added ingredients and supply chain solutions into the food service, QSR, ready-made foods, institutional, and food retail markets.
- Experience developing target account strategies, sales plans, new business proposals, and negotiating pricing, packaging, and delivery terms.
- Strong consultative value-based selling, strategic planning, and analytical thinking.
- Excellent time and territory management skills with the ability to work independently.
- Ability to communicate new product development ideas internally based on opportunities identified in the market, including assisting in building the internal business case to support development efforts.