Share on social:
The Quality Manager will be responsible for the food safety, quality, and regulatory compliance of the manufacturing facilities and for driving a culture of continuous improvement in all areas of responsibility. Manages the QA Department administrative functions with the QA Supervisors, including the staffing to accomplish the QA objectives and requirements.
- Serve as authority for onsite food safety, quality, and regulatory compliance decisions.
- Administer the site prerequisite programs and SQF program. Serve as a SQF practitioner for the facility.
- Understand, drive, and deliver quality related KPI results in areas such as defects, holds, and rework.
- Effectively empower staff to obtain company objectives.
- Ensure existing programs and procedures are verified and validated and represent optimal allocation of company resources.
- Manage multiple complex projects simultaneously related to the needs of the business.
- Innovate and inspire a culture of creativity to continuously improve facility systems and programs.
- Liaise with local, state, and federal government agency representatives through the normal course of business and in the resolution of regulatory complaints.
- Coordinate competing priorities and challenging deadlines; leverage cross-functional resources to achieve results.
- Develop and maintain plant procedures critical to quality and food safety.
- Evaluate and approve specifications for new products, ingredients, and processes.
- Maintain relationships with internal and external customers through compliance with contractual agreements, information exchange, and project collaboration.
- Communicate directly with customers in written and oral capacities.
- Facilitate third party and customer audits.
- Investigate complaints and develop internal mitigation techniques to prevent recurrence. Track, trend, and communicate to stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively and frequently with leadership in other functional areas of the facility. Prioritize departmental functions to enable successful plant operations.
- Mentor and motivate team members.
- Build and execute development plans for team members at subordinate levels of the organization to prepare them for roles of increased responsibility.
- Use responsible delegation methods to balance workloads in the department and to ensure all team members are engaged in tactical and strategic initiatives according to their positions.
- Evolve the site quality organizational structure to suit the needs of the business.
- Define job responsibilities within the department and institutionalize quality-related responsibilities outside the quality department through SOPs, standard work instructions, and by coordinating with other functional leaders.
- Use tools and techniques of statistical process control to improve production efficiency, reduce defects, and stimulate cost savings.
- Actively participate in cross-functional projects related to quality and compliance of new and existing products.
- Work cross-functionally with R&D, Engineering, Operations, Maintenance, Scheduling, and Purchasing to ensure initiatives are supported by the equipment, materials and processes necessary to drive sustainable results.
- Utilize Lean Manufacturing tools to map and analyze processes and to identify ways to reduce waste, improve work flow, and otherwise increase efficiency.
- Understand the impact that proposed changes have on nutritional analysis, product sensory analysis, regulatory compliance, and specification adherence and approve exceptions and changes accordingly.
- Maintain current technical expertise in food safety, quality assurance, regulatory compliance, and continuous improvement methodologies through scientific journals, professional organizations, food shows and technical conferences.
- Recommend and champion new technologies and best practices which will support key objectives.
- Understand how regulated characteristics (such as standards of identity, net weights, and allowable variances) interact with specifications, labels, and policies. Safeguard facility and product compliance.
- Serve as an expert resource in focused-improvement projects.
- Develop clear, measurable objectives related to company goals and benchmark their attainment.
- Set and communicate food safety and quality strategies and drive their continuous refinement and progression.
- Ensure that company policies are fully implemented and supported by plant procedures and practices.
- Accept additional responsibilities as needed in the support of company goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, biology or similar degree.
- HACCP, SQF certifications required.
- LEAN, Six Sigma, ASQ certifications preferred.
- Five (5) years of progressive leadership in food safety and food quality.
- Equivalent combinations of experience and training that provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Technical knowledge and good reasoning abilities.
- Demonstrated sound situational judgment and the ability to manage risk.
- Mature, enthusiastic, leader with a history of successful team building.
- Superlative written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent computer skills – advanced user of databases and spreadsheets.
- Good organization skills with the ability to plan projects/activities with a high energy level.
- Creative problem solving skills, sound judgment, and an orientation towards innovation.
- Ability to establish credibility with others, as well as be decisive.
- Ability to recognize and support the organizations preferences and priorities.
Apply For This Position
Hit the button below to apply to this position. Note that your information will be sent to our recruitment team and they will reach out if your qualifications are selected.