Product Design Engineer will be responsible to uses engineering education and industry experience to complete product design (and redesign) projects, meeting established cost, time and deliverable goals, while following the company’s NPD procedures. Acquires and maintains advanced knowledge of the design and application of the company’s products, as well as of related water management products that may be applied as the Company considers product line expansions and extensions.
- Determines feasibility of product designs, considering costs, time limitations, planning and other technical and economic factors
- Uses engineering judgment to determine and then to analyze competing for product design approaches in materials and construction, some of which may involve novelty
- Develops sufficient expertise and knowledge of products to which assigned that they begin to be recognized by internal and external persons as a useful technical resource.
- Uses computer-assisted engineering software and equipment for product design and analysis
- Interfaces with Tool Design to ensure product designs can be manufactured with respect to quality, quantity, functionality and cost requirements
- Completes product documentation packages (drawings, bills of materials and specifications), to adequately communicate design intent to Manufacturing and Supply Chain.
- Analyzes test data and reports to determine if designs meet functional and performance specifications
- Possesses an understanding of the causal relationships of product design to performance and product cost and can modify product designs accordingly
- Possesses an understanding of Six Sigma tools and is accomplished with their use in product development processes
- Ensures designs conform to applicable industry and business standards, Codes, Laws and regulations
- Continually evaluates engineering processes and practices for Continuous Improvement opportunities
- Makes presentations effectively to technical and nontechnical audiences
- Identifies and keeps abreast of novel technical concepts. Learns new skills and adopts new practices readily in order to develop innovative and low-cost products that improve the company’s technical leadership position
- Authors/co-authors technical reports, papers, articles, patents, and presentations
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution; Master’s Degree preferred
- 7+ years related experience
- Knowledge and understanding of the design of plastic injected molded components and their associated tooling and processes
- Relevant experience in the building trades’ industry and specifically the irrigation or water management industry is strongly preferred
- Experience with mold flow and/or CFD analysis software a plus
- Expert level SolidWorks user as evidenced by CSWP or CSWE certification